Plumbing test for oz

Guest julie09

Guest julie09

Hi

Can anyone tell me if they know when the next plumbing tests are in the UK with Vetassess? My oh has just missed the february one and no more are showing on Vetassess website. I have tried emailing them 3 times to ask but not hearing back from them. We have applied for state sponsorship so is this the only way of getting a PR visa for australia if you have a trade? The Test is expensive for what it is and considering he has full plumbing and gas qualifications here in the UK I dont know why they make you sit all this now. we have tried to get sponsored from an Australian company but with no luck. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks

Hello,

My OH half has just done his Vetassess skills test in February. (just waiting for the results)

I agree that Vetassess is pricey but I thinks it needs to be that way. Some of the Assessors have to come from Australia and take over a college (normally during school holidays)

Also they need to prove you can back up your trade knowledge. On my OH's assessment day he said you could see that there are a few chancers on it. Getting a Visa is like getting 'The Golden Ticket" so they have to be fussy who they 'let in' (maybe UK should take note)

By no means doubting your partners skills but at least the people who get in on a skilled visa are actually skilled therefore being able to work to a High Standard and not diluting the system to let every Tom Dick and Harry in.

Also it shows just how serious you are about applying.

I had a quick look on the website too but can't see any either. Good luck with your application

Mandy

Guest tinab
Hello,

My OH half has just done his Vetassess skills test in February. (just waiting for the results)

Hello,

I was just wondering what does the plumbing skills test involve ??What did hubby have to do on the day ?? We are just trying to find out if my hubby would pass. He has no written qualifications but does do plumbing work aswell as carpentry, but have found out that carpentry side involves new builds, frameworks and roofs etc. My hubby has never worked on a building site so would not be able to pass the skills test as you are asked to build a pitched roof. So was wondering if he would do any good at plumbing. Was advised he needed to have experiance as roof plumbing to be classed as plumber in Aus specifications ?? Not sure what to do but any info would be appreciated.

Guest ashnmatti

I think they hold them every 2-3 months, they are few and far between i know that. We have just sent the documents off to be checked so that my OH can do one. Different trade but same set out i think...... my friends OH did his last year, he is a carpenter, he had to be tested practically on 8 units in a day. He completed all the units and passed them apart from the last one on planning which he failed. He then had to pay to be retested ( at a subsidised rate but still like £500!!) on the unit that he failed. Also the test didnt change so it meant he had time to polish up on his skills and revise exactly what it was that he failed the first time. I also think that the testing is bloody expensive. I think its slightly rediculous that they charge you $600 dollars to look at docs and then charge you $1500 to be tested. i mean come on, i love that they are so strict on who they let in, and hate that the uk isnt the same, but surely charging this amount of money for someone to look at paperwork and invite you to be tested, cant be dignified.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I think they hold them every 2-3 months, they are few and far between i know that. We have just sent the documents off to be checked so that my OH can do one. Different trade but same set out i think...... my friends OH did his last year, he is a carpenter, he had to be tested practically on 8 units in a day. He completed all the units and passed them apart from the last one on planning which he failed. He then had to pay to be retested ( at a subsidised rate but still like £500!!) on the unit that he failed. Also the test didnt change so it meant he had time to polish up on his skills and revise exactly what it was that he failed the first time. I also think that the testing is bloody expensive. I think its slightly rediculous that they charge you $600 dollars to look at docs and then charge you $1500 to be tested. i mean come on, i love that they are so strict on who they let in, and hate that the uk isnt the same, but surely charging this amount of money for someone to look at paperwork and invite you to be tested, cant be dignified.

Vetassess is a rip off for what it is, it goes no where to qualifying you for a job in Plumbing when you get here, it's only useful to prove to the Australian Government that you can perform the criteria of your trade.

Vetassess is a rip off for what it is, it goes no where to qualifying you for a job in Plumbing when you get here, it's only useful to prove to the Australian Government that you can perform the criteria of your trade.

I'm sorry but I disagree that Vetassess is a 'Rip Off' I agree it is very expensive.

Also with a lot of Trades you have to retrain again in Australia to get qualifications that are recognised to allow you to work. This is most annoying for Plumbers and Electricians.

Vetassess have to pay for the Assessors to come over from Australia

Vetassess have to pay a fee to the College or School that they are using whilst in the UK.

Vetassess have to pay for Materials used on the day.

This is only a small part of the outlay, not including the employees of Vetassess and office costs.

My OH and I have paid and been through the Vetassess process and whilst we agreed it was expensive we understood why.

Also looking at it a different way it also shows that you are committed to trying to migrate to Australia as I can't see many people parting with that kind of money on a whim.

Sorry to disagree but I just have a difference of opinion

Mandy

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I'm sorry but I disagree that Vetassess is a 'Rip Off' I agree it is very expensive.

Also with a lot of Trades you have to retrain again in Australia to get qualifications that are recognised to allow you to work. This is most annoying for Plumbers and Electricians.

Vetassess have to pay a fee to the College or School that they are using whilst in the UK.

This is only a small part of the outlay, not including the employees of Vetassess and office costs.

My OH and I have paid and been through the Vetassess process and whilst we agreed it was expensive we understood why.

Also looking at it a different way it also shows that you are committed to trying to migrate to Australia as I can't see many people parting with that kind of money on a whim.

Mandy

Everyone's entitled to their opinion Mandy, when i went through the Vetassess process, I was told that it would enhance my prospects of getting a job in Australia, the fact is whithin the Plumbing Industry, which i seem to think this thread is about it makes no difference what so ever. So maybe I should of more specific and said Vetassess is a rip off for the Plumbing Trade, sorry about that. Then again, I know of Plumbers that have come over to Australia on a working visa, gone straight to the Plumbers and Drainers Board and got a provisional license on the same day. That means all the money spent on Vetassess was just for the migration process only, which goes back to the original point that I made, hope this is clearer.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion Mandy, when i went through the Vetassess process, I was told that it would enhance my prospects of getting a job in Australia, the fact is whithin the Plumbing Industry, which i seem to think this thread is about it makes no difference what so ever. So maybe I should of more specific and said Vetassess is a rip off for the Plumbing Trade, sorry about that. Then again, I know of Plumbers that have come over to Australia on a working visa, gone straight to the Plumbers and Drainers Board and got a provisional license on the same day. That means all the money spent on Vetassess was just for the migration process only, which goes back to the original point that I made, hope this is clearer.

I understand where you are coming from and how frustrating it is to be told one thing and finding out another when you get there.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I understand where you are coming from and how frustrating it is to be told one thing and finding out another when you get there.

The frustration is over with now and things have worked out for the best, good luck with your migration.:wink:

The frustration is over with now and things have worked out for the best, good luck with your migration.:wink:

Thank you and so glad it's all worked out for you.

I've got a long old wait coming up but I'm determined to make it to Australia. Hopefully in time for my Nana's 85 Birthday :animal-frog:

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Thank you and so glad it's all worked out for you.

I've got a long old wait coming up but I'm determined to make it to Australia. Hopefully in time for my Nana's 85 Birthday :animal-frog:

It'll be worth it in the end, it was for us.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Practical assessment schedule (Trade Occupation) - VETASSESS

Check this out for the latest dates, We are just waiting for results from the paper test so we can get booked, its very frustrating x

I notice Vetassess do assessments in India and Sri Lanka, wonder if they charge the same amount as they do for the UK. Or is it the POMES that ripped off?

Guest ashnmatti

mandy28.......i understand why they do it to. but dont be under the illusion that they bring people in to test you, when my friends OH did his test, it was his only college teacher that tested him. He wasnt australian, a brit through and through lol. Its things like this that annoy me. Also this time 2 years ago, you didnt have to do these tests. I started applyin when you didnt have to do them, then my visa company went bust and as i instructed another company, the government introduced the tests. This is where my frustration lies really. And to whoever asked whether it was just the brits that get ripped off.....then yes it is as the tests are cheaper in other countries....it states they are on the vetessess website :-(((

Guest ashnmatti
Practical assessment schedule (Trade Occupation) - VETASSESS

Check this out for the latest dates, We are just waiting for results from the paper test so we can get booked, its very frustrating x

lol, maybe we could go through this together lol, pm me, we are applyin under general plumber too and im also now waiting for the paper test results. x

Guest julie09

Thanks for the replies, I think if you can show you have proper trade qualifications in this country they should count for over there too. Its not as if we are a third world country and not properly trained. Half the Plumbers out there were originally trained in the UK anyway no doubt. Anyway my oh thinks he has found a plumber to sponsor him in Melbourne through a friend who lives there. By the looks of it the costs this will be way cheaper am i right?? And also do any of you know if he has to sit skills test still if he is sponsored? The plumber has a scottish guy already working for him and says he was sponsored but he was already over there at the time. Will have to go do some reading up on it now. Thanks

Julie

Mandy

Hi Mandy, im sorry but it is a rip off now you can do it via VIC over the Skype, youre OH was lucky doing his in north London.

Im from Worthing and i had to Travel to Accrington last year it cost a lot in travel,Hotels ,fuel, lost time in wages, i passed..

The assessors could run it in London and up north but they dont, on my practical were guys from Cornwall and scotland so all had a long and expensive time.

The end outcome if you pass entitles you to apply for a 176 SS Visa if you are successfull..

Be under no illusion when you get to OZ your Vetassess will count for nothing....

But as i have posted in an earlier thread, we have demonstrated our competence, but now anyone can do it via a paper assessment then over a SKYPE interview, i would chose the latter for the cost...

Had Vetassess been in London, i would have saved at least £600.00..:mad:

It is a con as when you get to Oz you are only a second year apprentice not a Gas safe Engineer like here...:realmad:

Still the Seas warmer....Cheers Nick..

Guest julie09

Hi nick,

Can you tell me how we go about doing it over Skype as it sounds lot easier as we are in the north of scotland?

Thanks

Julie

Guest julie09

Nick,

Sorry one more thing, it sounds like your now in oz? We have been offered a possible sponsorship from Plumbing company, Does he still have to go through skills test if sponsored??

Thanks

Guest mandi1971
lol, maybe we could go through this together lol, pm me, we are applyin under general plumber too and im also now waiting for the paper test results. x

Yes definatley keep in touch and we can help each other through it,my heads done in lol.

Butchera1971@yahoo.com

Where are you hoping to go in OZ xx

• 2 months later...
Guest zildogh

hi

am a gas engineer with bg at the mo aswell. there sure seems like there is a load to be doing in order to get over to Oz. Does anyone know if after i have completed my TRA is there any time restriction on how long it lasts for? have i got to use it within a year or summit? or does it last forever. And do i still need to do a TRA if i get an employer sponsored visa?

Thanks

Guest nigeba65

Hi,

Most trades are required to hold formal qualifications so don't know how your oh would do if he doesn't have any in plumbing. He would need to pass tra first before being considered for VETASSESS. There is a thread re the plumbing practical, follow the link below.

Don't worry about the roofing aspect of plumbing over there, it's seen as a seperate trade.

Hope this helps.www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-g...-saga-day.html

Archived